Celtic dreams crushed from the penalty spot
Castlebar Celtic 0 Ballinasloe Town 0 (Ballinasloe win 4-2 on Pens, AET) Connacht Junior Cup Final
By Colm Gannon, Milebush Stadium Mayo Advertiser, Sun, May 11, 2014

After 110 minutes of hard work, sheer will and effort Castlebar Celtic saw their dreams of a tenth Connacht Junior Cup come cracking apart in the most heartbreaking of ways in a penalty shoot-out. The Hoops will feel hard done by, having made most of the running during a game played in wild and wet conditions in Milebush Stadium. But Ballinasloe were the ones to get their hands on the old trophy thanks to a 4-2 win from the spot kicks. Jason Hunt slammed home the first kick of the shoot-out for Celtic, with Ballinasloe Town captain Peter Keighery responding in kind. Both sides also converted their next kicks, with Ronan O'Boyle doing the necessary for the Castlebar men and Gary Egan for the Roscommon League side. Gerry Hunt tried to replicate his brothers effort with Celtic's third penalty, but his effort was scooped over Aidan Fallon's bar, Mark Duffy saw his effort just about get past Stephen Cafferkey to hand the advantage to Ballinasloe Town. Up next was Celtic full-back Stephen Walsh, who had been excellent all day. But when it came to the crunch his effort clipped the top of the bar and cleared the target, leaving David Cullen with the chance to win the cup. The Ballinasloe Town full back took the route one option and drove it down the middle of the goal and past Cafferkey to ensure his team retained the title they won last year.

The game started out in a cagey fashion with Celtic's five man midfield trying to curb the creative influence of Town's attacking trio of Mark Duffy, Darragh Concannon and Kenneth Kenny. The early exchanges saw Ballinasloe control most of the ball with Duffy and Concannon trying to play little balls in behind the Celtic rearguard. But both Stevie Ryan and Declan Flynn were in top form Celtic all day, with Ryan putting in a outstanding display over the 110 minutes, getting his body in the way of the ball often and showing composure under pressure when clearing danger. The first clear cut chance of the game fell to Ballinasloe Town captain Peter Keighery who had a free header from an Darragh Concannon cross, but he could only direct the ball past the post on the quarter-of- an-hour mark. That chance shot some life into Celtic and the gradually took control of the game, but were unable to break down the Ballinasloe rearguard as Ronan O'Boyle found himself isolated too often as the lone front man, with Darragh Duffy the only player to offer him much assistance drifting in from the right wing.

Celtic manager Stevie Gavin changed things up at the break with Jason Hunt replacing Ollie Cunningham, the move saw Andy Neary drop back to the left back position and Hunt hugging the left touchline. Right from his introduction Hunt took the game to Ballinasloe and went on a number of mazy runs as he tried to unlock the Town defence. The first chance of the half fell to Ballinasloe danger man Concannon who had a free from the edge of the area that was tipped over the bar by Cafferkery. Twenty minutes from time, Celtic had their best chance of the game when a Ger O'Boyle corner was whipped into the box, Gerry Hunt who had joined his brother on the pitch as another second half sub, made a nuisance of himself in the box. The ball fell to Stephen Walsh who poked an effort goal-wards that was blocked by a Town defender, the rebound fell to the same man and he could hardly believe his eyes when Aidan Fallon pulled off a great save to stop the ball going over the line. Less than a minute later Concannon found himself in a on-side position behind the Celtic defence, but he could only pull his effort past the far post when he looked odds on to score. From then on it was all Celtic with Ronan O'Boyle having an effort well saved after some neat link work with Ioseph O'Reilly, Jason Hunt pulled an effort past the post and had another blocked down by man-of-the match Des Hope. Extra-time saw Ger O'Boyle have a goal bound effort blocked by a last gasp interception from a Ballinasloe Town head and Ronan O'Boyle crack a free kick at the target that had Aidan Fallon scrambling to tip the ball over the bar and out for a corner. But try as they might, Celtic couldn't find the break through and when it came to the penalties, the defending champions hit all the right notes.

Castlebar Celtic: S Cafferkey; S Walsh, S Ryan, D Flynn, O Cunningham; D Duffy, I O'Reilly, B McLoughlin, G O'Boyle, A Neary; R O'Boyle. Subs: J Hunt, G Hunt, E Crean.
Ballinasloe Town: A Fallon; G Egan, D Hope, P Keighery, D Cullen; S Duffy, S Treacy, K Kenny, O Keighery; M Duffy, D Concannon. Subs: J Villeraux, H Loughnane.
Ref: P Kilcoyne (Sligo )

Connacht Junior Cup Final from previous club website
Castlebar Celtic 0- 0 Ballinasloe Town  AET - Ballinasloe won 4-2 on penalties 

Ballinasloe Town retained the Connacht Junior Cup on Sunday  following a penalty shoot win over Castlebar Celtic at the Mile Bush stadium Castlebar. Overall it was a brilliant victory for the Roscommon and District League Premier Division side as they needed all their skill experience and determination to overcome Castlebar Celtic on their home patch. 
The home side were going for their tenth Connacht title while holders Ballinasloe Town were going for their third. Apart from a tenth minute spell near the end of the game when the Ballinasloe Town defence were under severe pressure the winners were at least as good as their opponents. 
With no goals in normal or extra time the game went to a penalty shoot out. Captain Peter Keighery Garry Egan Mark Duffy and David Cullen kept their nerve to score their opening four penalties and while Jason Hunt and Ronan O Boyle scored for Castlebar Celtic Stephen Walsh and Gerry Hunt missed.

The Ballinasloe Town Annual Summer Soccer Camp was held recently in the Curragh Grounds with Club member Barry O’Connor organizing the weeks activities. Over 70 kids participated in what was a very enjoyable week for both Coaches and Children. Each child received a participation medal along with a Ballinasloe Town Gym goodie bag containing a football and shin guards which was presented by Mayor Mike Kelly and Counselor Johnny Walsh. A huge amount of work and preparation was put in, especially by the coaches; Gary Egan, Sead Dean, David Cullen Ciaran Keighrey and Francis Egan. 

Premier Division Cup - Ballinasloe Town AFC (6) Vs Glen Celtic (2).
Darragh Concannon, Aidan Dooney (2), Petie Keighery, Liam Lynch & Alan Duffy. 

Newly crowned R & D League Champions Ballinasloe Town AFC secured passage to the next round of the Premier Division Cup after they beat Glen Celtic by a 6-2 scoreline in the Curragh on Sunday. After having a lot of the early ball it was the visitors who took the lead after the Town Defence failed to clear at the back, But Ballinasloe hit back with three goals in 5 mins before half time, Darragh Concannon opened the Towns goals and Aidan Dooney added the second to make it 2-1 with Liam Lynch making it three before the break. After Half Time Dooney added his 2nd and Captain Petie Keighery added the 5th from a corner. Glen Celtic then pulled another goal back to make it 5-2 and Alan Duffy then rounded the keeper to score Ballinasloe’s 6th leaving the scoreline finishing a convincely 6-2. 

Ballinasloe claimed the Premier Division Title on Saturday Night when Skyvalley Rovers failed to beat 10 man Moore Utd where the game finished 1-1 meaning that Ballinasloe are now 2 points clear with 4 games to spare. Congrats to the Squad, Manager Enda Concannon, Coaches Noel Lyons & Peter Tiley on Three in a Row of League Titles. Still more Silverware to be fought for at the business end of the season with the Quarter Final of the Connaught Cup against Loughrea FC on Sunday 14th April in Loughrea and the Premier Division Cup & the Roscommon Cup Titles both Still to be Defended. 

A.D.S.L Round Up:The U13’s travelled to Hodson Bay on Thursday 4th April in the League and left empty handed losing out Image4-2 in the end with Paul Carey and Darragh Cunningham getting the goals in a game where they could have got more out of it with some chances not taken in the 1st half and it took Hudson Bay’s two late goals to secure the points for the home side. The U16’s Cup Game was Called off and the U11’s fresh back from their trip to Liverpool where they played for the Bob Paisley Cup were back in Action on Saturday morning when they entertained Temple Villa Blues but were on the wrong end of a 4-0 scoreline and the U9’s traveled to Mount Temple for the 5 A-Side Fun League and had 2 games winning one 4-1 and losing one 4-1, Cameron Keighery, Conor Dowd, Kai Keighery, Luke O’Connor & Ronan Lynch Getting the Goals. Good Fun had by all on the day. Well Done to All our Sides in Action This Week. 

*** LOTTO ***- The Lotto Numbers drawn for tues 3rd April were – 05, 08, 16, 18. there was No Jackpot Winner. Next Weeks Jackpot will be €15,500 and Tickets can be got from Any Committee Member or Senior Player as Well as from our many Club Lotto Boxes in Local Shops and Pubs thought out the Town.

Ballinasloe Town AFC F.A.I Junior Cup Preview POSTED ON MARCH 20, 2013

At the Curragh Grounds Ballinasloe this Saturday evening at 6 .30PM the Roscommon and District league Premier Division Champions Ballinasloe Town take on the AUL side Kilbarrack United in this seasons Quarter- Finals of the Umbro sponsored FAI Junior Cup.

In round six of the competition Ballinasloe beat a fancied Castlebar Celtic side 2 – 0 at Ballinasloe and were full value for their win. They went on to reach the Quarter Finals by beating a fancied Clonmel Celtic side 2 – 0 at Ballinasloe. Michael Greaney and Darragh Concannon scored their goals and overall Ballinasloe Town were the better side

Overall Ballinasloe have a strong side. A strong defence of Mike Lynch Garry Egan David Cullen Shane Duffy Pete Keighery and keeper Aidan Fallon were the back bone of the side in previous rounds. Darragh Concannon continues to run the midfield show with his accurate free kicks likely to cause trouble for the Clonmel Celtic defence. Aidan Dooney Alan Duffy and Shane Tracy are other skill full players in the home side. It will be interesting to see if Liam Lynch makes a return to the side given that he did not feature in the two previous rounds.

Kilbarrack United are one of the top sides in the AUL and reached the final of this competition last season. They were beater 3 – 0 by Sheriff United in the final. They will provide stiff opposition and Ballinasloe Town will have to be at their very best if they are to over come this talented side. A big local support could be the difference in who comes out on top.

Good luck to Ballinasloe Town and hopefully they can be the second team from the Roscommon and District league who reached the Simi Final of this prestigious competition. 

Ballinasloe Town Panel - Aidan Fallon Declan Duffy Shane Duffy David Cullen Mike Lynch Garry Egan Darragh Concannon Michael Greaney Ritchie Egan Pete Keighery Padraig Brock Owen Keighery Eduardo Lacerda Shane Tracy Warren Coyne Dillon Kane Mark Duffy Padraig Moloney Alan Duffy Aidan Dooney Graham Petit Liam Lynch 

Manager Enda Concannon.- Coaches Noel Lyons Peter Tiley

Ballinasloe Town AFC News for Week Ending 11/03/2013


Result…Connaught Cup (Last 16).

Ballinasloe Town AFC (2) Vs Colemanstown Utd (0). Alan Duffy & Micheal Greaney.

The Senior side are through to the Quarter Finals of the Connaught Cup after defeating Colemanstown in the Curragh by 2-0 on Sunday. The home side started the brighter and got their reward for the early pressure when Right Back Gary Egan picked the ball up on the right and delivered a Perfect ball to Alan Duffy who finished extremely well from close range with good header. While Ballinasloe were applying most of the pressure and creating more of the chances the visitors did have a free kick which had to be well saved by Aidan Fallon who was sharp but the game going in at half time was 1-0.

Ballinasloe started again with most of the ball but with the score still at one nil the game seemed to on a knife edge with Colemanstown now coming into the game a little bit more with Fallon in goal having to claim more than one ball, but all hopes were dashed in the 75th min when Darragh Concannon picked out Shane Treacy who found Mark Duffy to let the ball across his body and find Greaney powering into the box and slotted past the keeper to give the Home side a 2-0 lead and Michael’s 5th in Five games. The Game finished 2-0 and their Unbeaten record still intact. Ballinasloe Town are now in the Quarter Finals of the Connaught Cup where they will Play Loughrea Away & F.A.I Umbro Junior Cup and they will find out who We will Face when the Draw is made on MNS on RTE 2 Monday 11th March at 7pm when the draw will be Live on T.V.

*** Poker Night ***

Huge Thanks to ALL who Supported, Help Orginise & Played in Our Texas Holdem Poker Night in Joes Bar on Firday 8th March. It was a Massive Success with 45 Players there. Good Crack on the night and Some excellent poker played also. Well Done to Former Ballinasloe Town Player Niall Stack who ran out the winner in the end Collecting Trophy and the Cash Prize. Big Thanks to All at Joes Bar – Joby, Caít & Mikey for All their Help and to Shark Poker’s Mark Harrigan & Sean Kenny who looked after the whole Tournament from start to finish !! A Fantastic Job and to ALL Who played Thank You.