AC CELTIC 2-1 BALLINASLOE (x1 cormac harrington) U12 Cup Semi Final ADSL

Last evening The Town played A.C. Celtic away in the Semi-final of the U-12 Cup. Both teams were up for this one as it was end to end football with both teams having chances and both keepers in top form but with just 3 minutes left in the 1st half A.C. Celtic struck the 1st blow to go in at half time 1 up. The 2nd half was more of the same end to end but again the two keepers were on form and with Cormac Harrington grabbing a goal for Ballinasloe it was a really good game, then Joe Smith put a cracker off a ball behind the A.C. Celtic defence to Cameron Keighrey who was one on one with the keeper but his shot was well smothered as both sides threatened a winner. With five minutes remaining A.C. Celtic on the attack again put a long ball up to the right side and Junior Harte came out of his box quickly but the A.C. Celtic player was 1st to it and chipped in from distance to go 2-1 up and there was still more time for chances for Ballinasloe but they just couldn't get the ball past the line  F/T 2-1 to A.C. Celtic. A very competitive  game  and best of luck to A.C. Celtic for the Cup final. We go on to play Temple-Villa in the Shield final.


Ballinasloe 1-1 St Francis (Ballinasloe win on penalties 3-1) semi final U12/13 combi league

x1 David Sposob​​
Ballinasloe Town played at home to St. Francis in the Semi-final of the u12-13 Combi Lleague. An extremely tight game of football in which both sides had numerous chances until the home side were awarded a corner, which was subsequently whipped in and was then headed out by the St. Francis defence, but the ball had other ideas and as it came to David Sposob he blasted the ball into the St. Francis net to take the lead for Ballinasloe. The Town started to get more involved as the game progressed and another chance came to Aaron fallon who shot but the keeper got down well to push the ball away but once again an ever alert Brandon Egan tried his luck and he unluckily hit the side netting. H/T 1-0.

The second half was more of the same with the both sides going at it hammer and tongs with both keepers on form, then with ten minutes left St. Francis responded well and had a free kick which was launched in and was headed away but the clearance came to a St. Francis player who scored to equalise 1-1. And that's the way it finished and on we went for Extra Time which proved to be a stalemate despite some excellent end to end play but no score. So onto the dreaded penalties and up first was Daragh Blake who put his away with style, Caysan Walsh put the second away, Micheal Leary struck his and Goalie James Kenny made 2 super saves with Ballinasloe winning 3-1. Great Credit must go to both sides with Ballinasloe progressing and for a Super Effort from St. Francis. Well Done All.


Ballinasloe Town 0-2 St Francis

Ballinasloe played St. Francis at home today in the Curragh. Due to a lot of kids missing for various reasons, we had to draft up Fionn Ryan to play to make up the 9th player. A very tight game and after 15 minutes Kyron Blair was put through on goal only the keeper was quickly out to save, but with 5 minutes left in the 1st half St. Francis broke the deadlock to go 1 up and that is how it ended at  half time. H/T 0-1. The Town started the 2nd half brightly with a few chances and were awarded a free kick with Cameron Keighrey just putting the ball over. St. Francis came more into the game but Junior Harte was unbelievable  in goal saving chance after chance to keep us only 1 goal behind. Cornac Harrington was superb in defence along with James Kenny and Aiveen Curly, but with only 5-6 minutes left St. Francis doubled their lead to make it 0-2 and that's the way it finished. I couldn't put into words the effort Ballinasloe put in with having no subs to call on. Well done to St. Francis on a good win but a proud day for Ballinasloe management who saw the heart and pride in wearing the jersey today.

Ballinasloe Team as follows, Junior Harte, Aiveen Curly, James Kenny, Cormac Harrington, Kyron Blair, Cameron Keighrey, Liam Martin, Hugh Curly and a big thanks to Fionn Ryan for filling in. Man of the Match Everyone.



aaron fallon x1, brandon egan x1

Ballinasloe played AC Celtic at home on Sunday in the u12/13 Combi League with a kick off at 12.15pm. Ballinasloe were very slow off the mark today and AC Celtic deservedly went 1 up after 10 minutes, a couple of changes for the home side to freshen things up and Josh Bradley put through a superb ball which Aaron Falllon slotted home for the equaliser. H/T 1-1. A very tight second half with both teams having chances until Caysan Walsh put a ball through for Brandon Egan who finished brilliantly to put Ballinasloe 2-1 up. With AC Celtic responding well they had the ball in the net but it was ruled offside. A very even game, but at full time it finished 2-1 to 'The Town' who have been crowned Champions. Well played to both teams.



caysan walsh x1, cormac harrington x2, cameron keighrey x2, jamie coyne x1

Ballinasloe U12's played at home to Hodson Bay on Sunday morning with an early 11am kick off, a beautiful bright morning, the home side were quick off the mark playing well and on 5 minutes they were awarded a corner which Caysan Walsh swung in and deflected into the goal off one of the defenders, another was quickly added to from Cormac Harrington and then Cameron Keighrey added a third and Cormac Harrington finished the 1st half with the 4th goal in an outstanding first period. H/T 4-0. The second half was under way with Hodson Bay having a few chances but Junior Harte was in superb form saving a number of chances. As Ballinasloe once again began to find their rhythm and started to get back on the ball it wasn't long before Cameron Keighrey put away the 5th and a super cross from Cormac Harrington was put away superbly by Jamie Coyne. F/T Ballinasloe Town 6 Hudson Bay 0. A super performance from all the team and to Hodson Bay who never gave up. 


ST JOSEPHS 1-1 BALLINASLOE (x1 Sposob - U12/13 Combi League)

Ballinasloe Town played their 4th game in the u12-13 combi league away to St Joseph's on a lovely and dry but chilly day. They started the game very well getting chances and after 15 minutes a corner which Caysan Walsh whipped in was put away by David Sposob to put the Town 1 up, Ballinasloe continued to dominate and had plenty more chances to go further ahead but they were just missing that little bit of luck and it was 0-1 at half time. Once again the visitors started the brighter in the second half with chances from Aaron Fallon and a terrific shot from Caysan Walsh which missed just inches wide. St Josephs came more into the game with around 10 minutes remaining and with a low range shot equalised with only 5 minutes left and ended the game with a full time result of 1-1. A good point away from home and leaves Ballinasloe 3 points clear with only 2 games remaining, Everyone played their hearts out, Well Done to all.



x2 Keighrey, x2 Curly, x1 Harrington 

Ballinasloe Town under 12's were involved in a game of football that defied belief as they came storming back from a 4 goal deficit to record an outstanding win away from home. Playing East Galway away in Kiltormer, it was East Galway who started the brighter and found themselves two goals up after only 15 minutes, the Town were very slow to get going and just before half time the home side struck again to make it 3-0 to make it an uphill struggle as they faced into the second half. At the kick off Ballinasloe started well and begun to play some good passing football in the second half but against to run of play East scored once again as the visitors went 4-0 down. This was going to be an all hands to the pump effort from the team to keep the scoreline down and not make it an embarrassing day for the team in yellow. With the team now finding a bit more of a rhythm despite losing 4-0 it took a free kick which Cameron Keighrey dispensed with, scored and soon after he struck once again to make it 4-2 and give a bit of hope to the visitors. Then a corner which Liam Martin whipped in and Hugh Curly connected with a bullet of a header to add to the unlikely come back to bring the score to 4-3. Then another incident in an action packed game as Cameron Keighrey was taken down in the box, Cameron got up and took the penalty which the keeper did very well to get down and save. Then more drama as Cormac Harrington was put through and slotted home equalizing to make it 4-4 on the day and then with minutes left another corner for a rejuvenated Ballinasloe which Liam Martin once again swung in and the second part of the double act Hugh Curly struck to put 'The Town' 5-4 up to set up a breath taking and pulsating last few moments as East attempted to salvage something from the game but Ballinasloe held on to record a remarkable victory that will be talked about for all those who witnessed it today. Real heart stopping stuff, but an excellent second half performance with two teams giving performances that was a real spectacle of all that is good in football. Well done to all involved and well done to the Town players who never gave up even when it looked like a lost cause, a sign of great character in young players.

Team - Junior Harte, Aiveen Curly, Joseph Smith, Jamie Coyne, Cormac Harrington, Cameron Keighrey, Sean OgBurke, Kyron Blair, Hugh Curly, Blathnaid Kelly, Liam Martin. 


Under 12's & 13's ADSL Combi League 
This was a first game in a series of fixtures in the new U-12-13 Combi League  of the ADSL (Athlone District Schoolboy League) where Ballinasloe Town beat St Joseph's 2-1 in a highly entertaining game played at home in the Curragh Grounds. The home team who started a little slowly soon found themselves a goal down on 15 min but this setback only triggered the 'Town into a higher gear where they played some great football. Here their passing movements were excellent and it was no surprise, when one of the best on show, Brandon Egan, stuck the ball in the back of the net to level it 1-1 at halftime. 
The goal near halftime was a great fillip to the home side and even though, the St Joseph's side were much bigger, the Ballinasloe lads were much too fast and skilful for them. This superiority however wasn't showing on the scoreboard and it took a corner on the left with two minutes to go to break the deadlock. The ball was floated over into the away sides penalty area and from the breaking ball Fionn Ryan seized on the opportunity first time, to smash a great volley to the left corner of the net for the winner, to leave the score 2-1 in favour of Ballinasloe Town. A great performance all round and while there were a few lads slightly above the rest it's only fair to give the plaudits all round to the whole team who played their hearts out.

Ballinasloe Town AFC (0) St Michael's of Tipperary (4) FAI JUNIOR CUP RD 6
If ever a game didn't merit the full time score line and it was this. In fact the home side dominated possession for long periods and just couldn't get the breakthrough they deserved. This came by through poor shooting by the forwards and sadly to say a poor performance by the Referee & his officials who denied the 'Town a blatant penalty in the 37th min when the ball was handled in the area. St Michael's were leading 1-0 from a fortuitous goal well taken by Shane Ryan from the edge of the area in the 14 min after failure by the home defence to clear the ball on the right. 
The game was dominated by Ballinasloe for the remainder of the half and well into the second half on 65 min before the visitors went further ahead 2-0 from a score by David Slattery from a corner on the left. The third goal came from a great strike by Colin Bargary in the 75 min who evaded the defence by smashing in a great score. The game was now over as a spectacle with the home side completely drained of the enthusiasm 
shown earlier and the Tipp boys just waltzed through from the midfield area on the right to send over a ball that was finished to the net on 86 min by Conor McGrath. That the  St Michael's team were the better side overall was shown by the class within its side. The three full backs; Chris Higgins, John O'Brien & Paul Breen have all been capped at Junior level for Ireland as was their goalkeeper Adrian Walsh. On the Ballinasloe side Gary Egan, Joe Woods & Des Hope gave of their best but the better side go on to the 7th Round where they will hope to carry their flag into the final stages where they have been runners up in recent years along with winning the Cup in 2014
Brendan Fahy
PRO Ballinasloe Town AFC


OUGHTERARD 1-2 BALLINASLOE  Connacht Cup Round 2
Team: Padraig Maloney, Gary Egan, Gary Canavan, Joe Woods, Mike Lynch, Darren Kelly, John Maloney, Shane Duffy, David Nee, Mamood & Mark Duffy. Subs: Jordan O'Leary for Mamood, Oisin Duffy for David Nee & Kenneth Kenny for Johnny Maloney. Mark Richardson, Davie McDonnell & Alan McKelvey.
The game started brightly for Ballinasloe with plenty of possession & movement early on. The first chance for the 'Town came on 15 min when Mamood had a shot on goal that was wide. The Oughterard goalkeeper then came to his team's rescue with a great save from the same player on 20 min. After both sides had shared possession for the next while it then fell to the visitors Mark Duffy on 35 min with a shot just off target at the back post. This on another day could have been put away by the Ballinasloe sharpshooter but today wasn't one of them. Half time left the sides at 0-0. After Ballinasloe management team brought on Jordan O'Leary for midfielder John Maloney on 55 min they hadn't long to wait until they took the lead on 60 min. This happened when Darren Kelly scored from a parried shot put there by the home Keeper following a free from outside the box by Garry Egan. The game heated up by some pace now with both sides having half chances and the pressure paid off for Oughterard when they levelled the game at 1-1 on 85 min. But the holders were not going to give up their crown without a fight and after a short period of intense pressure the home defense gave way when their 'Keeper took super-sub Jordan O'Leary out of the game on 88 min and from the resultant penalty Gary Egan slammed home the winner to leave the score 2-1. It was a tight enough game for much of the time with the more skilful Ballinasloe lads coming out on top over a more rugged Oughterard side. Best for the 'Town were; Gary Egan, Mike Lynch, Joe Woods, Darren Kelly & Jordan O'Leary.


RESULT - Cloonfad United 0-1 Ballinasloe Town Premier Div. Saturday 9 Dec '17
Team: Padraig Maloney, Gary Egan, Gary Canavan, Des Hope, Mike Lynch, Kenneth Kenny, Oisin Duffy, Shane Duffy, Mark Richardson, Mamood & Callum Mckelvey. Subs: Mark Duffy for Mark Richardson 70mins & Oisin Kelly for Oisin Duffy 76 
The game started brightly for Ballinasloe with plenty of possession & movement around the park. This soon paid off on 10 minutes with a great run into the box by Oisin Duffy that led to some crisp passing with the ball eventually getting back to Oisin who fired a great shot past the Cloonfad 'Keeper for the opening and eventual match winning goal.
The visitors dominated this game throughout and would not have been overawed had they won by 3-4 goals and most surely have were it not for the brilliance of the Cloonfad Utd goalkeeper who gave a star performance throughout. The 'Town had the ball in the net for a second goal on 80 minutes by Mamood but was harshly ruled offside. Best for Ballinasloe Town were: Gary Canavan, Calum McKelvey, Shane Duffy, Mamood & Oisin Duffy.

We welcomed St Joseph’s & East Galway Utd to the curragh Grounds for a U9s Blitz this morning. Weather was great and all kids seemed to enjoy it immensely. Great to see such large numbers, back at grassroots level at our club, we had two teams with approximately 20+ kids, with all kids getting plenty of game time. Special mention goes to the two girls who were part of the Ballinasloe Teams, Aoife Bergin & Nadine Cawley and Player of the Blitz TJ Fallon who was outstanding in goal. Thanks to all Parents, coaches ( Mark, Darren, Padraig & Joby ) and players for a excellent morning entertainment.
( Ballinasloe Apache 1 ) Won 2 Games and Drew 1
( Ballinasloe Apache 2 ) Won 1 game and Drew 2

Great mornings football on Saturday morning in our U7 blitz against st Josephs, and Hodson Bay. Great footballing displays by Joe Casey and Eoin Casey, excellent defensive work by Alan Nowicki, Charlie Ferns. Kiril Khaliman played very well in goals and also outfield when called upon. At the other end our strikers were in great form with Noah Broderick and Brayden Furey scoring and Brogan Howard also threatening throughout all the games. Well done to all who took part.


U12 SFAI CUP - Oranmore/Maree (1) Vs Ballinasloe Town AFC (2)
Joseph Smyth & Cameron Keighery (Pen)
A great win in the SFAI Cup for our U12's who had to come from behind to seal a place in the next round of the Competition.
The Town found themselves a goal down against the run of play but Joseph Smyth was on hand to level matters before Cameron Keighery converted the penalty following Liam Martin being brought down in the box. An excellent team performance with a special mention to Aiveen Curley who had an outstanding game today. A special mention to Oranmore/Maree for a thrilling game and made sure our Players, Coaches & Parents were very well looked after when the game finished, Thank you for your Hospitality.


The Senior First Team Squad advanced to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup when they beat Arrow Harps in St Enda's on Sunday. Mark Richardson opened the scoring very early on for the Town and Joe Woods doubled the lead with an excellent header from a Gary Egan free kick, It was Egan to make it 3-0 shortly afterwards scoring his sixth goal of the season to leave the Town three up at the interval. The away side pulled two quick goals back early into the second half to bring the deficit back to one but Joe Woods added his second to make it 4-2 and after some excellent work from Mahmoud Guimma who delivered a stunning cross which could only be directed into the defenders own net such was the quality of the cross leaving the game out of reach for the visitors and Ballinasloe to run out 5-2 winners. Best for the Squad today were Kenneth Kenny, Mike Lynch and Gary Egan in an other excellent squad performance. Well done to the squad and management.


The Senior Reserves won their fourth straight game in the Curragh on Friday Night when they beat CP Ajax by 5-1 in the Roscommon and District League Division 1 League. A early own goal after some excellent work from David McDonnell (Although Davy would tell you it was on target anyway) opened the scoring very early on and Mitch Kelly made it 2-0 not long after that when Jordan O'Leary made up some great ground to set up Mitch for the easiest of tap in's, Then O'Leary added the third with a magnificent free kick on the edge of the box leaving the keeper no chance whatsoever and Jordan Added his second when Darren Kelly placed a through ball to Jordan whose pace saw him to the ball before the the oncoming keeper to finish off a great move and that left the score going into the break 4-0 to the Town but not before young goalkeeper Mikie Lyons made a brilliant save from the penalty spot and again after the ref made them retake the penalty. After the break the visitors did pull a goal back through a deflected shot but O'Leary completed his Hat-trick after he was put through on goal to finish well. Ballinasloe should have had more such were the chances created but a good win in what wasn't this teams best erformance. Best for Town were Shane Kelly, Conor Kenny, Jordan O'Leary and Darren Kelly.


The U12's were unlucky to be knocked out of the Connacht Cup 1st round after they narrowly beaten by a very good AC Celtic side by a 5-2 scoreline on Saturday in the Curragh. The team played very well in the First Half and were leading by a couple of goals when Kyron Blair and Cormac Harrington gave the Town a 2-0 lead before the visitors pulled one back on the stroke of half time to leave the town leading 2-1 at the break. Unfortunately the second half was just a little too much with the team tiring and AC Celtic scored four more to leave the scoreline maybe just a little flattering. Best of luck to AC Celtic in the Next Round. The U12's will compete in the Shield Competition and will be expecting a good run.


GThe U11's were also entered into the U12 Connacht Cup and travelled to Hudson Bay on Saturday to play in their fist 9 aside game and came away with the win in a stunning 3-2 Victory. Charlie Killeen open the scoring for the Town after some excellent work from Ryan Howard and Ryan Dowd made it 2-0 when he blasted home from the edge of the box before the home side pulled one back before half time to make 2-1 at the break. After the break the Town started again with an excellent pace with Killeen and Howard both coming close and after Ballinasloe were awarded a penalty it was Ryan Dowd who stepped up to take it and place a perfect penalty to make it 3-1 to the visitors. The home side pulled a goal back and pressed hard for the goal to level the game but Josh Bradley was excellent at the back and the Town U11's are through to the 2nd Round of the Connacht Cup. Best for Ballinasloe were Charlie Killeen, Ryan Dowd, Josh Bradley & Cormac Murphy in an magnificent squad effort for a team in a competition a year above their level. Well done to the squad and management and this will serve this squad well in the competition for next season.


The U13's were also in Connacht Cup action and again this squad was playing a year above its age level in an U14 Connacht Cup Competition and they played Hudson Bay in the Curragh on Saturday and they found themselves a goal down before Mark Killkenny levelled matters, but again the visitors took the lead and Hudson Bay could have been 3-1 up when they were awarded a penalty but failed to convert leaving the Town trailing by just the one at the break in an average 1st half performance by this squads standards. A change in formation in the second half for the Town saw Mark Killkenny level matters before a brace from Keleen Cawley saw the Town run out winners and advance to the 2nd Round of the Competition. Well done to the squad and management on a terrific result and a great experience.