Ballinasloe Town AFC were last minute additions to the U9 Knocknacarra cup played in Galway today.
The town played brilliantly in their group, winning all 3 games, and finishing in top spot. The town scoring 18 goals and conceding 1 in the group stage. Goal scorers were Adam McLoughlin, Callum Conway, Adam Lloyd, Charlie Hayden, Ty Finnerty and Fionn Duffy.

The town progressed to the quarter finals where they were up against Knocknacarra 3. A blistering start seen the Town take control and goals from Callum Conway, Adam Lloyd, Adam Mcloughlin, and Fionn Duffy secured Ballinasloe's passage safely through to the semi finals.

Next up was always going to be a tough semi final against Manulla. Manulla opened the scoring in the first half when a high ball into the box was almost cleared by Kirill Khaliman however the Manulla Striker nipped in and headed over Kirill to put Manulla ahead. Ballinasloe responded when Adam Lloyd latched onto a half chance and drilled home the equalizer. Both sides had chances to win the game and after a 5 minute extra time period we were heading to penalties. This bunch of players have been through a number of losses on penalties over the past few years, but today would be our day. Ballinasloe converted 7 out of 8 penalties versus 6 out of 8 for Manulla and we were through to the final.

The final saw us paired against the hosts Knocknacarra 5 who came through a tough semi final v Salthill Devon.

The final kicked off and early on Ballinasloe had some great chances to open the scoring with Callum Conway going close. The town broke the deadlock when a superb through ball by Fionn Duffy picked out Adam McLoughlin in the 6 yard box, Adam swiveled and buried the ball home 0 - 1. The game was very close after this, both teams going at it at a frantic pace. KFC looked to have leveled shortly afterwards to the delight of the home crowd, when the KFC player dribbled the ball in from the kick in and drove an effort into the far top corner of Kirills goals, however the “indirect kick in”was deemed to not touch any other player and was ruled out. Ballinasloe sensed victory after this let off and drove on. A nice passing move seen Adam Lloyd break clear on goal and smashed a left footed drive past the KFC goalkeeper 0 - 2. The town had to withstand some late pressure but John Kelly and Aofie Berrigan defended brilliantly. Kirill Khaliman pulled off some wonderful saves, and the energy and drive of Ty, Fionn, Charlie, Callum, Adam Mc and Adam Lloyd throughout the final and entire tournament was a joy to watch. 
The final whistle blew and Ballinasloe were champs.

Huge thanks to Jason and all the other coaches and staff at Knocknacarra FC, this was a superby ran tournament and the facilities were top class. We will be back next year!!!! Thanks to all our players and their parents that attended and our coaches Gary, John and Mark.

Hon the Town

Divisional Cup Final Ballinasloe Town AFC 2 v 1 Ballymoe AET 12 May 2019
This Cup final was played at Lecarrow, the RDFL County Grounds, a ground which had been very kind to Ballinasloe Town over previous years. Conditions were perfect for football, with the sun shining, and a calm day. Ballinasloe welcomed home Gary Canavan back into the squad following his overseas peace keeping mission with the Irish Defence Forces.

Ballinasloe started brightly and played very well in the first half. Chances fell to Mark Duffy with a long range strike which made the Ballymoe keeper pull off a fine save. Davy Cullen also went close from distance. Darrel Finn struck the Ballymoe crossbar with a lobbed effort and Mahmoud following up the rebound with a super right footed half volley, however the Ballymoe goalkeeper pulled off a top class save.

Ballinasloe’s best chance arrived when Des Hope charged up the field with the ball. Des slipped Mark Duffy through one on one with the goalkeeper. Marks first effort was blocked by John Connaughton, but the second ball fell kindly, and Mark squared the ball to Liam Lynch who was just outside the six yard box. Liam struck the ball cleanly, but the ball hit the Ballymoe post and was cleared to safety. This looked as though it may not be Ballinasloe’s day.

Just before half time Ballymoe broke the deadlock. Damien Goggins the RDFL top goal scorer for the 18/19 season, hit a top-class volley from the edge of the Ballinasloe 18 yard box with his left foot. His effort flew past Padraic Moloney who went full stretch to try and save this but could only get finger tips to the ball. 0 – 1. This goal came totally against the run of play and Ballinasloe were shell shocked to go in at the interval 0 – 1 down.

The second half started and was a much closer game. Ballymoe grew in confidence and were unlucky to add a second goal. Gary Canavan and Aiden Dooney were introduced and both players made huge impacts in the game. With about 20 minutes to go Dooney and Canavan combined in the Ballymoe 18 yard box. Dooneys first attempt at a half volley was not precise enough, the ball fizzled up in the air. His second attempt however as the ball bounced up off the turf was as precise as you would ever see. Aiden lifted the ball with his right foot and placed it into the Ballymoe top left hand corner. A top class finish from Aiden. From here on in both teams went close to getting a winner. The town defence of Clogher, Hope, Lynch and Duffy held firm however and extra time would be required.

Extra time commenced and Ballinasloe finished stronger. Some nice neat play by Dooney and Woods seen Gary Canavan run clear along the left wing. Canavans pace, power and accuracy allowed him to break free and whip the ball into the Ballymoe 6 yard box. Liam Lynch was as always in the right place at the right time. Liam coolly slotted home to put Ballinasloe into the lead. 2 – 1. Ballinasloe withstood some final pressure from Ballymoe to see out the game and win 2 – 1.

The Ballinasloe management team would like to thank everyone who gave so much effort throughout the course of the season, and were delighted that the players and club were rewarded with some silverware at the end of a long, hard season.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, M Lynch, D Hope, D Duffy, D Cullen, M Duffy, J Woods, D Finn, M Giumma, L Lynch.
Subs used: Gary Canavan, Aiden Dooney, R Burke, K Kenny. Subs unused: D Kelly, J Gaynor

​Divisional Cup Semi Final Castlerea Celtic 0 v 1 Ballinasloe Town AFC 27 Apr 2019
This divisional cup semi-final tie saw Ballinasloe travel to Castlerea for the 3rd time in 4 weeks. On this occasion the Town had to travel without several players and a massive effort would be required by the Town to win this match. Ballinasloe were the slightly the better team in the first half, though both teams were not at their best. Liam Lynch had a back-post header which was the closest either team came to scoring. Kenneth Kenny and Joe Woods were well on top in the centre of the park and gave Ballinasloe a good base to play from.

After the restart Ballinasloe looked much livelier and pushed hard for a winner. In the 75th minute a quick Davy Cullen throw released Mark Duffy up the left wing. Mark crossed first time with this left foot, to his strike partner Liam Lynch, who was waiting at the back post. Liam struck a brilliant volley into the bottom right hand corner of the Castlerea net. A super strike by Liam who again proved to be the thorn in Castlerea’s side. The Towns striker putting in a brilliant end to Ballinasloe’s season and scoring another all-important goal. 

The Town defended like their lives depended it for the rest of the game with the back five of Maloney, Clogher, Hope, Lynch and Declan Duffy all putting in excellent shifts. The final whistle was blown to the delight of the Ballinasloe Team and Management and a Divisional Cup final appearance was the reward for their efforts.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, D Hope M Lynch, D Duffy, D Finn, J Woods, K Kenny, D Cullen, M Duffy, L Lynch Subs: M Nee

Roscommon Cup Semi Finals Ballinasloe Town 0 – 1 St Peters FC 22 Apr 2019
This semi final pairing threw up a mouth watering tie between last seasons top two teams in the RDFL. As always there would be very little between both sides, and the odd goal would probably win the game. Ballinasloe were without Cormac Clogher who was unavailable but were close to full strength otherwise.

Ballinasloe chose to play with a strong breeze and were much the better side in the first half. An early chance for Darrel Finn was just off target from the edge of the 18 yard box following a misplaced pass from a St Peters defender. The next goal scoring opportunity fell to Mahmoud Giumma who timed his run perfectly in behind the opposition defence, and deftly lifted the ball over St Peters goalkeeper Eoin Hardiman only for his effort to drift over the bar.

Liam Lynch was very unlucky with two close range efforts, one a header which was just off target and another following a goal mouth scramble, with the ball unbelievably ending up in the St Peters goalkeepers hands. Ballinasloe's defence was also well on top with St Peters trying to break down the Town defence through the right and left back positions, however Declan Duffy and Joe Woods dealt with everything that was thrown at them.

The second half was a much closer affair with St Peters coming more into the game. Conor Deignan won the ball on the left side of the pitch. He lofted the ball into the Ballinasloe 6 yard box, where Mark Sherlock was awaiting and the big striker nodded the ball into the net at the back post of the Ballinasloe goal. 0 – 1.

Ballinasloe tried hard to break down a resolute St Peters defence after this, however the equaliser did not come and with that Ballinasloe were defeated and out of this competition. 

Team: P Maloney, J Woods , M Lynch, D Hope, D Duffy, D Cullen, D Kelly, A Dooney, D Finn, M Giumma, L Lynch.
Subs: R Burke, Mark Duffy, Mirsad, C Reynolds.

​RDFL Castlerea Celtic  1 – 2 Ballinasloe Town AFC 07 Apr 2019
This was the final league fixture for Ballinasloe away to Castlerea Celtic. A point for Castlerea would mean a second place finish, whilst a win for the Town would see them overtake Castlerea into second place. Castlerea opened the scoring through a Nathan Bligh free kick. His effort was drilled low along the ground, and this looked like a routine save for Padraic Moloney, however the ball slipped underneath him and into the net.  1 – 0. Ballinasloe responded well after this and were the better team for the remainder of the game.

Just after the restart a nice passing move saw Darren Kelly slot home with his left foot from inside the Castlerea box. This drew the Town level at 1 - 1. From here on in, it was all Ballinasloe. The Town piled on the pressure in search of an equaliser. It duly arrived after 75 mins. Kenneth Kenny got on the ball in the final 3rd of the pitch and played a nice cross field through ball to Mark Duffy who was just outside the Castlerea 18 yard box. Mark controlled the ball and quickly struck his left footed effort into the top corner of the Castlerea goal. A fine strike and a goal worthy to decide this game.

This win saw Ballinasloe finish in second place for a 3rd year running, and with that the Town qualified for the prestigious Connacht Champions Cup for the 2019/2020 season.

Team: P Maloney, C Reynolds, M Lynch, J Woods, C Clogher, D Cullen, K Kenny, D Kelly, D Finn, M Duffy, M Giumma.

Subs: M Zellhadja, P Hickey, R Burke. 

Hanly Quarries Premier Division Cup Final

Ballinasloe Town 2 Ballymoe FC 1 After Extra Time
In a thrilling game of football at the Roscommon and District League grounds in Lecarrow, Ballinasloe Town edged out Ballymoe FC in a game that either side could have won. Ballymoe started well and came close to scoring in the opening minutes but gradually Ballinasloe Town worked their way back into the game and were in control for the final twenty minutes of the half. With thirty-eight minutes played Damien Goggins won possession with his back to goal outside the Ballinasloe penalty area. He turned sharply before volleying into the top corner of the net to bring his total to twenty seven for the season. While Ballinasloe came close to levelling the game before half time some good saves from the Ballymoe keeper Richard Thompson kept them at bay. After the break Ballymoe went all out for a second and only missed out by the width of the cross bar on two occasions.

The introduction of Gary Canavan gave Ballinasloe the advantage and he volleyed a fine equaliser with thirty-two played in the second half. The same player left Liam Lynch with only a tap in at the beginning of first period of extra time. Damien Goggins was inches from an equaliser when he lobbed the keeper but the ball crept just wide. Daniel Malone and James Connaughton were also close to levelling the game but the experienced defence of Mike Lynch, Des Hope and Joe Woods kept Ballinasloe Town ahead until the final whistle.

​​​Roscommon Cup Castlerea Celtic  2 – 3 Ballinasloe Town AFC  (30  Mar 2019)

This was a tricky tie for Ballinasloe away to Castlerea Celtic in the Joes Bar sponsored Roscommon Challenge Cup quarter finals.
Ballinasloe started the brightest with the Town getting the ball down and playing through the Castlerea defence. Early chances fell to Liam Lynch and he was just off target with one and the other was blasted off the crossbar from a very acute angle, following a Declan Duffy cross. This was as good as it good for Ballinasloe in the first half. This seemed to wake Castlerea up and they started to control the game from here to half time. Midway through the first half Castlerea opened the scoring. A through ball was slipped to Nathan Bligh who ran past 2 Ballinasloe defenders, he feinted to shoot past Padraic Moloney, but then rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home to open the scoring. 1 – 0.

Ballinasloe made 3 changes at half time with Mark Duffy, Darrel Finn and Aiden Dooney being substituted for Mahmoud Giumma, Darren Kelly and Ryan Burke. The second half began with Ballinasloe showing a better intensity and desire. A corner was won and Cormac Clogher was the taker. Cormac whipped the ball into the 6 yard box, the Castlerea keeper John McHugh completely missed the ball and it flew in at the back post after bouncing in the 6 yard box. 1 – 1

Ballinasloe were now full of life and looked to be the only team that would win this game. Davy Cullen broke down the left wing and crossed deep to the far post, it looked as though the cross was too deep. However Liam Lynch brilliantly stretched and reached the ball with a sliding volley and thumped the ball past the keeper. 1 – 2. Ballinasloe were now well on top and had further chances to stretch their lead. With the dying minutes of the game approaching Castlerea were awarded a free kick 35 yards outside the box. The ball was whipped to the far post. Liam Lynch got caught on the wrong side of the Castlerea attacker and hauled him to the ground. PENALTY!!!

Gerry Ward stepped up for Castlerea and buried his effort into the top left hand corner. Padraic Moloney got fingertips to it, but not enough to save it. Liam Lynch had 1 final great effort to win the game for the Town but on this occasion the Castlerea keeper was good enough to keep it out.


Extra time commenced with both teams still going at it 100%. Mahmoud Giumma was terrorising the home defence at every chance he got. Mahmoud did excellently going down the left wing, he then pulled the ball back for the in-rushing Ryan Burke who had an open goal. Ryan side footed his effort but it hit the cross bar, the rebound fell to Liam Lynch but the Castlerea goalkeeper saved. Ballinasloe continued to press for a winner, delightful play again seen Mahmoud slip the ball to Davy Cullen who connected too well with a strike from the edge of the box and drove his effort against the chest of the home goal keeper John McHugh. A miraculous save, one he didn’t know too much about. The first period ended with the scored tied at 2 – 2.

Mirsad was introduced for Ryan Burke at the half time in extra time period. Mirsad brought a high energy and got about the pitch putting in his tackles and winning the ball back. With both teams now still really throwing all they had at this game, 1 more goal looked like it could win it. Liam Lynch as usual was the man for the job. A superb piece of play by Mahmoud, saw a little through ball slipped to Liam on the edge of the Castlerea box. Liam thumped an effort first time past the despairing John McHugh for 20 yards. A top class strike to win a great game and sent the Town supporters into wild celebrations. 2 – 3. Ballinasloe survived some late pressure from Castlerea to hold on for a great win.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, M Lynch, D Hope, D Duffy, D Cullen, J Woods, A Dooney, D Finn, M Duffy, L Lynch.

SUBS - A Dooney for R Burke, Mark Duffy for Mahmoud Giumma, D Finn for D Kelly, Mirsad for R Burke

​Roscommon Cup Ballinasloe 4 – 0 Kilkerrin (23 Mar 2019)
Ballinasloe made it 2 wins from 2 in the Roscommon Cup with a routine 4–0 home win. Early chances fell to Mark Duffy and Darrel Finn but both players could not open the scoring. Ballinasloe opened the scoring midway through the first half. Nice build up play resulted in Aiden Dooney getting on the ball in the middle of the park, and he played a superbly weighted through ball up the middle of the pitch carving the Kilkerrin defence open. Davy Cullen timed his run perfectly coming off the left wing, and just managed to get o the ball before the Kilkerrin goalkeeper. Davy coolly slotted home t o make it 1 – 0 to the Town. Ballinasloe continued to pile on the pressure and a free kick was awarded. Cormac Clogher clipped the free from the edge of the box. Des Hope rose highest and headed the ball from 18 yards out in to the far top corner. A cracking header from the skipper. 2 – 0.

The second half saw more pressure from Ballinasloe. Cian Reynolds entered the action and was his usual busy self, working up and down the right wing. Cian created the third goal for Ballinasloe, charging up the right wing, beating 3 players and laying the ball off to Aiden Dooney at the edge of the box. Aiden’s pile driver whizzed along the ground and found its way into the bottom corner of the net. The Kilkerrin goalkeeper had no chance. Alan Duffy and Liam Lynch were introduced late on and both players made an immediate impact. A brilliant piece of link up play between Alan and Liam see Liam being hacked down in the box for a penalty. Davy Cullen stepped up and slotted the penalty away. 4 – 0.

A good win for the Town and a good squad performance overall.

Team: P Hickey, C Clogher, M Lynch, D Hope, D Duffy, R Burke, D Cullen, A Dooney, D Kelly, D Finn, M Duffy.

SUBS - C Reynolds for C Clogher, Mirsad for R Burke, Mark Duffy for Alan Duffy, K Kenny for D Kelly

RDFL Premier Division Ballymoe 0 v 0 Ballinasloe Town AFC 10 Mar 2019
Ballinasloe had 3 games left in the RDFL 2018/2019 season before kick off and needed 3 points to have any chance of competing for 1st place. Several first team regulars were unavailable for this game due to other commitments and senior debuts were handed to Cian Reynolds, Cian Naughton and Shane Carrig also had a place on the bench. The back four for Ballinasloe were excellent throughout this game and Cian Reynolds particularly caught the eye with a super performance, and showed that he is well capable of stepping up to the senior team.

Darren Kelly also played very well in the middle of the park getting on a lot of ball and brought others into the game. Ballinasloe were the better team throughout most of this game and had the two best chances of the game when Aiden Dooney struck the bar from 30 yards. In the dying moments Alan Duffy who played one of his best games for Ballinasloe could have claimed all 3 points for the Town though his close range finish was pulled wide and off target. The game finished 0 0 which was a fair result in the end.

Team: P Maloney, C Reynolds, M Lynch, D Hope, C Clogher, R Burke, D Kelly, A Dooney, D Duffy, A Duffy, C Naughton.
Subs used: S Carrig for Ryan Burke. 

Roscommon Cup Ballinasloe 3 – 0 Cam Celtic 02 Mar 2019
Ballinasloe opened their Roscommon Cup campaign with a 3 – 0 home win. Goals from Davy Cullen from a well worked corner, and Alan Duffy and Liam Lynch from close range had the town 3  goals up at half time. Further goals should have been added but an excellent display from the Cam keeper and defence prevented this.

Team: P Hickey, C Clogher, M Lynch, D Hope, D Duffy, Mirsad, D Cullen, A Dooney, M Duffy, L Lynch, A Duffy.

​RDFL Premier Division St Peters 3 v 1 Ballinasloe Town AFC 17 Feb 2019
This was a big game in Ballinasloe’s quest to win the RDFL league title as 3 points were needed following last week’s disappointing defeat to Boyle Celtic. Ballinasloe started brightly with Liam Lynch almost scoring with a close range header from a Mark Duffy cross. St Peters were getting a foothold in the game and were enjoying their best spells out wide attacking down both wings, however Cormac Clogher and Declan Duffy dealt with anything that came there way. Ballinasloe had a corner midway through the half. Des Hope headed brilliantly into the far top corner however St Peters managed to head the ball clear after the ball had crossed the line, neither referee or linesman seen this goal and waved play on. A big chance gone for Ballinasloe. Joe Woods and Des Hope were very solid defensively through the middle, and both teams were evenly matched approaching half time with the score tied at 0-0.

The second half resumed and within 1 minute Mark Sherlock had St Peters ahead. A half chance fell to him in the Ballinasloe box and the striker buried his effort low past Paul Hickey in the town goals. 1- 0. Ballinasloe continued to try and play football and the introduction of Shane Duffy for Darrell Finn brought a new lease of life to the team and a physicality which was much needed. The town were growing in confidence and getting on top. A Davy Cullen pass forward to Mark Duffy was headed on to Liam Lynch. Liam Chested the ball down and was flattened by the Scott Delaney from behind, and the referee immediately awarded Ballinasloe a penalty. Davy Cullen stepped up and slotted the ball low past Eoin Hardiman in the St Peters goal. 1-1

With approx 15 minutes to go Davy Donohue picked the ball up on the right wing, and sent a high cross into the Ballinasloe box, St Peters had the aid of a huge breeze in the second half, and this breeze caught the flight of the ball and guided it past the despairing Paul Hickey at the far post at the highest point. A huge moment of luck and a major turning point in the game. 1-2. Ballinasloe had two chances late on to equalise but both were off target. St Peters added a late 3rd goal in injury time to leave the score at 1-3, and with that the towns chance of winning the RDFL league was gone.

Team: P Hickey, C Clogher, J Woods, D Hope, D Duffy, R Burke, D Cullen, A Dooney, D Finn, L Lynch, M Duffy.
Subs used: S Duffy for D Finn.

RDFL Premier Division Ballinasloe 0 – 2 Boyle Celtic 09th Feb 2019
This was a huge game for Ballinasloe after the top 6/bottom 6 split for the first time in the RDFL.
Boyle started brighter and opened the scoring when an excellent Danny Browne through ball put Mick Corrigan one on one with Padraic Maloney, and slotted low past the Ballinasloe keeper. 0-1. Ballinasloe tried hard to get back on to the game with Cullen, Dooney and Lynch all going close before half time.

The game resumed and Mark Duffy and Aiden Dooney again came close to scoring. A rare Boyle chance was taken soon afterwards. Lee McKillen crossed from the left wing to Darren Foley and the Boyle winger buried his header from 6 yards out. 0- 2. 
Ballinasloe pushed hard to get a goal back and with 15 left the best chance fell to Des Hope who couldn’t steer his effort from close range on target. With that Ballinasloes chance was gone, and Boyles finishing in front of goal was the difference on the night.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, M Lynch, D Hope, D Duffy, R Burke, D Cullen, A Dooney, D Finn, L Lynch, M Duffy.
Subs used: J Hunt for M Duffy , A Duffy for R Burke, Mirsad for M Lynch. 

​​RDFL Premier Division Ballinasloe Town AFC 0 v 0 Castlerea Celtic 25 Jan 2019
This top of the table clash was a meeting of two of the heavyweights in the RDFL. A win for either team would have seen them move clear at the top of the table at the half way stage in the league season. The first half of this game seen Ballinasloe on top having slightly more possession in the early periods with Alan Duffy linking up play well. Castlerea settled in and got a foothold soon after. An accidental clash between Cormac Clogher and the Castlerea striker resulted in Cormac having to leave the field of play. He resumed shortly afterwards with a head bandage and a new jersey as a result of his head wound. Ballinasloe's best chance of the first half fell to Mike Lynch whose header was just off target from an Aiden Dooney corner.

The second half was a much tighter affair and either team could have won it, as both sides had good chances. Liam Lynch had a close range header just off target after an excellent Aiden Dooney cross from the left wing. Joe Hunt worked his way into a good position following a nice passing move but his finish was straight at the Castlerea goal keeper. Castlerea had a great chance which fell to Gerry Ward with 20 minutes left following a mix up in the town defence. He picked up the ball on the edge of the box and side footed his finish around Padraic Moloney, and it was just of target and wide. Ballinasloe continued to push for the elusive winner and their best chance fell to Liam Lynch in the 91st minute. A Brian Campbell flick on left Liam one on one with the keeper, but his header was just off target and grazed off the cross bar and over. 

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, M Lynch, J Woods, D Duffy, D Cullen, M Duffy, A Dooney, D Finn, A
Duffy, J Hunt. Subs used: L Lynch for C Clogher, B Campbell for A Duffy.

​RDFL Premier Division Kilkerrin United 1 v 2 Ballinasloe Town AFC 19 Jan 2019
This game was played under lights in Kilkerrin on Saturday evening with 3 points vital for the Town to maintain their title challenge. This game started with Ballinasloe trying to pass the ball on a very soft surface due to previous rain. The town were on top early on and the opening goal arrived when Declan Duffy crossed deep to the back post to pick out Joe Hunt. Joe headed back across goal to Liam Lynch who chested the ball down and volleyed with his left foot to the bottom corner of the net. A super finish.

Ballinasloe continued to try and play and were creating their best chances from both wings with Darrel Finn and Davy Cullen working extremely hard on both sides. Davy Cullen (just back from Australia) was a thorn in Kilkerrin’s side every time he got on the ball. Kilkerrin were relying on balls over the top to their striker and trying to hit Ballinasloe on the break with runners from midfield. Mid way through the half Kilkerrin won a corner kick. Damien Mahon rose highest to power a brilliant header past Padraic Maloney from close range. 1 – 1. Kilkerrin grew in confidence after the goal and pushed higher up the pitch trying to get their second goal. 
Ballinasloe’s second goal arrived just before half time, after a lovely passing move set Davy Cullen away in behind the Kilkerrin back four. Davy carried the ball into the 6 yard box and squared it just at the right moment for Aiden Dooney to tap in from 6 yards out.

The second half was a tighter affair. Kilkerrin played with 3 strikers and got the ball forward at every opportunity. The Ballinasloe back four had to work very hard to keep the Town goal. Liam Lynch came closest to adding to his tally for the day, when he carried the ball clear from a Kilkerrin corner to the half way line. He struck a brilliant effort and almost caught the Kilkerrin goal keeper of his line, the ball just hitting the back stanchion. Aiden Dooney was substituted after 65 minutes due to the after effects of a very heavy tackle from behind in the first half. Kenneth Kenny replaced Aiden and played his part in shoring up the Ballinasloe midfield. Brian Campbell replaced Joe Hunt and worked tirelessly up front and carried the game to Kilkerrin at every opportunity. Kilkerrin threw everything at Ballinasloe to get an equaliser, their best chances coming from three corners. The Town held out for a vital win and a big three points on the road.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, M Lynch, J Woods, D Duffy, D Cullen, M Duffy, A Dooney, D Finn, L Lynch, J Hunt.
Subs used: B Campbell for Joe Hunt, K Kenny for A Dooney.

​RDFL Premier Division - Ballinasloe Town AFC 3 v Skyvalley Rovers 0 (12 Jan 2019)
This was the first meeting of these two sides in the 2018/2019 season and this local derby was eagerly anticipated. Ballinasloe were without the injured Des Hope, Cormac Clogher and Shane Duffy who was also unavailable. The game kicked off with Ballinasloe enjoying the majority of possession with Skyvalley happy to sit back and play a deep line and soak up the Ballinasloe pressure. Ballinasloe pressed forward but found it difficult to break down a well organised Skyvalley defence.

The deadlock was broken after 25 minutes when the excellent Callum McKelvey picked up the ball on the left wing. He cut in onto his right foot, and shot from approx 25 yards. His effort flew in to the top left hand corner of the net, leaving Skyvalley goalkeeper Brian Croffey a spectator. 1 – 0. Skyvalley continued to sit deep and soak up the town’s pressure, and were reliant on former Ballinasloe player David Grehan to try and create something on the break. The Skyvalley striker was however well marshalled by Joe Woods, Mike Lynch, Declan Duffy and Darrel Finn.

Ballinasloe continued to press forward down the right and left wings through Ryan Burke and Callum Mckelvey. The Town's second goal arrived in the 40th minute. It came from a super cross from Darrel Finn who crossed from the left deep to the back post. Liam Lynch had peeled away from his marker, and his finish was exquisite, back across the goalkeeper and nestled in low at the far post. 2 – 0. Ryan Burke was injured shortly afterwards and was replaced by Alan Duffy.

The second half resumed and the game was sealed shortly afterwards. Joe Hunt put in a superb first time cross, deep to the back post, where Liam Lynch was awaiting. Liam headed brilliantly to the net to put the game to bed. 0 -3. Ballinasloe should have added further goals through Alan Duffy who was just off target with a number of fine efforts late on. A presentation was made before this game with both Ballinasloe Town AFC and neighbours Skyvalley Rovers receiving 2 new sets of home and away jerseys. These were presented by Joseph and Cait Kelly of Joes Bar (Ballinasloe Town AFC main sponsor). All at Ballinasloe Town AFC are very thankful for Joes Bar continued sponsorship.  Next up for Ballinasloe is an away fixture to Kilkerrin United.

Team: P Maloney, D Duffy, M Lynch, J Woods, D Finn, R Burke, M Duffy, A Dooney, C Mckelvey, L Lynch, J Hunt. 
Subs used: A Duffy for R Burke, M Giumma for C McKelvey, K Kenny for M Duffy, D Kelly for A Dooney. 

RDFL Premier Division 06 Jan 2019 - Dysart 0 - 7 Ballinasloe Town AFC
Ballinasloe were returning to action after the Christmas & New Year break and did so in fine style away to Dysart on Sunday morning. The opening stage of this game was nip and tuck with both teams trying to find their feet. Ballinasloe were starting to get a foothold in the game after 10 minutes and won a number of corners which were swung into the box by Aiden Dooney. It was from one of these corners that Ballinasloe opened the scoring. A Dysart defender headed the corner kick away from goal and it fell to Ryan Burke who was 25 yards from goal. Ryan chested the ball and hit it first time, and sent a cracking volley in to the roof of the Dysart net.  0 – 1.

Shortly afterwards Mark Duffy won possession in the middle of the park and slipped the ball to Ryan Burke, again Ryan was approx 25 yards out, his strike was hit at full force and the Dysart goalkeeper spilled the ball into the net due to the movement on the football. 0- 2. Aiden Dooney won possession in the middle of the pitch soon after amidst 3 Dysart midfielders, his drag back was perfect, releasing himself into space, and he let fly again from distance. His strike flew into the net past the Dysart goalkeeper. Ballinasloe had brought their shooting boots on this occasion. 0 – 3.

Ballinasloe's best goal came shortly afterwards, Declan Duffy picked up the ball at left back, played it through the middle to Callum Mckelvey who linked up very well with Joe Hunt. Joe slipped Alan Duffy away into the box, Alan then pulled the ball back in the six yard box for Callum to tap home. A super goal by the Town. 0 - 4. Dysart pushed forward on a number of occasions, and had some half chances but resolute defending from Mike Lynch, Kenneth Kenny, Joe Woods and Declan Duffy prevented any goals.

The second half resumed and Ballinasloe soon increased the score line. Joe Hunt slammed a left foot volley home from close range. 0 - 5. Soon after an exquisite back heel from Joe Hunt set Alan Duffy one on one with the Dysart keeper, and Alan coolly slotted the ball past the Dysart keeper. 0 – 6. Darren Kelly, Liam Lynch and Paul Hickey joined the action for Mark Duffy, Ryan Burke and Kenneth Kenny with 30 minutes to play. Aiden Dooney rounded off the scoring for the Town with a tap in from close range. All in all this was a good display from Ballinasloe who put some tough defeats behind them to start 2019 in good fashion. Up next is a home tie v Skyvalley Rovers in the league where Ballinasloe will look to build some more momentum.

Team: P Maloney, K Kenny, M Lynch, J Woods, D Duffy, R Burke, M Duffy, A Dooney, C Mckelvey, A Duffy, J Hunt.
Subs used: D Kelly for M Duffy, L Lynch for R Burke, P Hickey for K Kenny. 

RDFL Ballinasloe Town AFC 0 v 1 Ballymoe 07 Dec 2018
Ballinasloe Town were at home to Ballymoe on Friday night with the Town well placed, sitting 3 points of top spot with 2 games in hand. Ballinasloe had Des Hope and Joe Woods ruled out through injuries picked up against Westport.

Ballymoe chose to play with the elements meaning Ballinasloe would have to play into a strong wind in the first half. Ballymoe pressed high up the pitch early on, putting the Ballinasloe back 4 under pressure. This pressure was rewarded 20 minutes into the game when a handball in the box, resulted in a penalty to Ballymoe. Damien Goggins stepped up and slotted the ball to the bottom left past Padraic Moloney. Ballinasloe continued to play and were just off target on a number of occasions. Aiden Dooney whipped a number of free kicks into the danger area but the Town could not get the vital finish required.

The second half began with Ballinasloe trying hard to break down a stubborn Ballymoe defence. Ballinasloe best chance fell to Aiden Dooney, whose effort from 20 yards struck the outside of the left hand upright and tailed off wide. Darrel Finn had a good chance when put through on goal, he turned back onto his right foot however his effort was blocked down. A first league defeat of the season for Ballinasloe, who will need to pick themselves up quickly if they are to maintain a title challenge. Next up is a tricky away fixture to last season’s Connacht shield winners Kilkerrin United.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, M Lynch, D Duffy, D Finn, C McKelvey, M Duffy, A Dooney, S Duffy, A Duffy, L Lynch.
Subs used: J Hunt for A Duffy, R Burke for S Duffy, D Kelly for M Lynch. 

FAI Junior Cup Ballinasloe Town AFC 0 v 1 Westport United 02 Dec 2018
Ballinasloe Town were the sole representatives of the RDFL remaining in the FAI Junior cup and were drawn against Westport United in the last 64 of the competition.

The Ballinasloe pitch held up very well considering the inclement weather for the previous week. The game kicked off amidst heavy wind and rain. Ballinasloe were aided by the elements in the first half and were the better team. The first half was a tense affair with the Town camped in the Westport half but without having any clear cut opportunties. The Town had numerous frees and corners throughout this period but could not make the breakthrough against a very solid Westport goalkeeper and defence. Ballinasloe's best chance fell to the Mike Lynch with a header following a corner. On 17 minutes Des Hope drilled a close range free kick over the bar. Shortly afterwards a huge blow happened to Ballinasloe’s chances with the loss of Des Hope when he got injured and had to leave the field of play. Liam Lynch replaced Des and went straight into centre forward, with Mark Duffy dropping to centre mid, and Joe Woods dropping to centre back.

The second half saw Westport impose themselves more on the game and created some half chances while Ballinasloe continued to push forward. United did take the lead when Jack Murphy’s free kick was whipped in and in the ensuing goalmouth scramble, the Ballinasloe goalkeeper Padraic Moloney pulled off a remarkable double save but Peter Corcoran was in the right place at the time to prod home from close range in the ensuing six yard box melee. Westport thought they had a second when David Hoban had a goal ruled out for offside. United were dominant and were creating a number of half chances but Ballinasloe did have one chance that whistled wide of the post and another that went across goal. Ballinasloe were awarded a penalty in the 80th minute when Westports James O Donnell handled the ball in the box. Liam Lynch, who scored a dramatic late penalty against Boyle 2 weeks earlier, stepped up to take the penalty. Unfortunately on this occasion the penalty flew over the bar. Ballinasloe continued to push for an equalizer and had a late opportunity through Mark Richardson that whizzed past the Westport goalkeeper Gary Cunninghams left hand post, and with that the Towns chance was gone.

Ballinasloe and Westport have had some magnificent battles in the FAI and Connacht cup in recent years and the club would like to wish them the best of luck for the rest of the season in both competitions.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, D Hope, M Lynch, D Duffy, J Woods, A Dooney, S Duffy, R Burke, M Duffy, D Finn.
Subs used: L Lynch for D Hope, C McKelvey for Ryan Burke, A Duffy for D Finn, M Richardson for S Duffy. 

Connacht Junior Cup Ballyglass 3 v 1 Ballinasloe Town AFC 25 Nov 2018
This Connacht Cup tie was always going to be a tough tie for Ballinasloe away to Ballyglass who had just finished 6th in the Mayo Super league a few weeks earlier. Ballinasloe started this game brilliantly playing fast fluid football and were moving the ball very well. The 1st chance arrived straight from the kick off when Darrel Finn powered into the box forcing the goalkeeper to save from close range. Ballinasloe broke the deadlock in the 6th minute. A nice passing move between Declan and Mark Duffy set Finn away again who had his first attempt blocked, Darrel recycled the ball, and clipped it to the back post where Ryan Burke was waiting. Ryan brilliantly headed the ball to the net to give the town a deserved lead. 0 – 1.

Ballinasloe continued to play good football, and almost added to their lead on several occasions through Shane Duffy and Aiden Dooney. An excellent breakaway by Ballinasloe from a corner, saw Darrel Finn hacked down on the edge of the box and the Ballyglass right back cautioned. Shortly afterwards the Ballyglass centre back was cautioned for a similar foul on the same player, whose pace was terrorising the home defence. Ballyglass had one breakaway chance in the first half with JP O'Gorman clean through on goal, but Padraic Moloney made an excellent right handed save. The town finished the half well on top and looked to be in control of this game. 

The second half resumed and play continued as per the first half. Darrel Finn was hacked down when clean through on goal, and another free was awarded. Another chance for Ballinasloe but the delivery was headed clear. A free kick was awarded against Ballinasloe in the middle of the park. The ball was clipped out to the right wing, where the Ballyglass winger took a touch and drilled the ball into the 6 yard box. The Ballyglass centre forward had nipped in between Des Hope & Mike Lynch and volleyed to the Ballinasloe net. This goal gave Ballyglass a huge lift, and 6 minutes later a carbon copy of the first goal was repeated. A cross swung in from the right was met first time and volleyed to the town net. A disastrous 6 minutes for Ballinasloe, nevertheless there was lots of time to turn this game around.

Ballinasloe continued to press forward. Mark Duffy was fouled and reacted quickly to play a quick free kick to put Darrel Finn through on goal one on one with the Ballyglass goalkeeper, however his finish was off target. Declan Duffy went close with a diving header from a corner and Ryan Burke hit a rocket off a shot which just flew over. Alan Duffy was introduced and did very well when called upon. Alan was very composed on the ball and created another couple of chances but the Ballyglass goal seemed to have been blessed. Ballinasloe were pressing for an equaliser and a late Ballyglass breakaway goal made the scoreline 3 – 1. The town had one more great chance to pull it back to 3 -2 when Joe Woods put Darrel through on goal however it was not to be. 

Ballinasloe bow out of the Connacht cup with their first defeat of the season and will rue numerous missed chances they had to put this game to bed. Ballyglass were clinical in front of goal with limited chances. Best of luck to Ballyglass in the next round.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, D Hope, M Lynch, D Duffy, J Woods, A Dooney, S Duffy, R Burke, M Duffy, D Finn.
Subs used: A Duffy for M Lynch

RDFL Premier Division Boyle Celtic 0 v 1 Ballinasloe Town AFC 18 Nov 2018
This Premier Division tie was a huge game in the RDFL with Boyle sitting in top spot and the Town closely behind with 2 games less played. Both teams having only dropped 2 points to date. The Ballinasloe management team were without Declan Duffy & Aiden Dooney, however Des Hope and Darrell Finn both recovered from injuries and were fit for selection for this game. 
The game started with both teams finding it hard to settle and defences well on top. Neither team fully settled in the first half, as space was difficult to find. Ballinasloe had a number of free kicks early on which they could not capitalise on. Boyle Celtic grew into the game and were the better team towards the end of the first half, playing a nice brand of football. 

Boyle Celtic started brightly in the second half and were very unlucky not to open the scoring after Enda Smith broke clear of the Ballinasloe defence and sent an effort across Padraig Moloney, only for the ball to hit the post and roll back along the line, where Moloney scrambled back and gathered the ball. In the 71st minute Boyle had a second chance to break the deadlock but an unbelievable bicycle kick clearance from Mike Lynch on the Ballinasloe goal line hooked the ball away to safety. Des Hope was also unlucky not to put Ballinasloe ahead with a free header from 8 yards out from a Town corner. On the 70th minute Ryan Burke replaced Darrel Finn, and as always gave everything for the team. Ryan is one of the brightest young talents in the Ballinasloe squad and has an excellent attitude. 

Ballinasloe were finishing this game stronger as Boyle were dropping deeper and deeper. With 10 minutes left the town were awarded another free kick 20 yards from goal. Shane Duffy's effort from the free was drilled along the ground but did not trouble the Boyle Celtic keeper. Alan Duffy replaced Mahmoud Giumma in the 85th minute. This game looked like it was headed for stalemate, but Ballinasloe continued to push for a winner. The energetic Mark Richardson was fouled in the middle of the pitch. Mark Duffy clipped the resulting free to the front post to Des Hope. Des powered a header back across the Boyle 18 yard box. Joe Woods who was outstanding on the night, was quickest to react, and let fly with a half volley which was destined for the top corner. The Boyle defender John Connolly who was 2 yards from his own goal line, then pushed the ball over the bar with both hands. Ballinasloe appealed for the penalty, and after consulting with his linesman the referee correctly awarded the penalty kick, and red carded the Boyle defender. 

Liam Lynch who was the calmest man in Boyle, stepped up to the spot kick and placed his effort past the despairing Boyle keeper in the 93rd minute. The game was blown up shortly afterwards to the delight of the Ballinasloe team and supporters. This was a smash and grab win, against a very good Boyle team. Ballinasloe were under pressure defensively for long periods but stayed in the game and got their reward late on. A big 3 points for the Town away from home. 

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, D Hope, M Lynch, J Woods, M Duffy, S Duffy, M Richardson, Mahmoud Giumma, L Lynch, D Finn, Subs used: R Burke for Darrel Finn, A Duffy for M Giumma

FAI Junior Cup Round 4

Ballinasloe Town AFC 2 v 1 Castlerea Celtic - 11 Nov 2018
This round 4 tie threw up a mouth watering clash between 2 of the best sides in the RDFL. Ballinasloe and Castlerea have had some great battles in previous years, and this game turned out to be no different. The town were carrying some injury concerns into this game with Des Hope, Darrell Finn and Declan Duffy all carrying knocks into this game.

This game started at a frantic pace and both sides struggled to get their foot on the ball early on. Ballinasloe soon settled and opened the scoring after 10 minutes. A nice passing move between Shane Duffy, Aiden Dooney and Mark Duffy created a chance for Darrell Finn, who cooly side footed the ball from the edge of the box past the Celtic goalkeeper John McHugh. An excellent finish from Darrell. 0 -1. Two minutes later Darrell had to leave the field of play due to a recurring injury. Ryan Burke was called upon as his replacement.

Both teams continued to try get the ball down and Castlerea at this stage were getting the best of the chances. Their direct running causing the town numerous problems through Ronan Curran and Eoghan O Connell. Ballinasloe had a good chance when Mark Richardson was put through on goal after 25 minutes but his scuffed shot did not trouble the Castlerea keeper. On the 28th minute the town again showed their quality. The excellent Mark Richardson picked up the ball on the left wing following a nice series of passes, cut in, and crossed to the back post to Liam Lynch who had slipped away from the Castlerea defender. Lynch is lethal in these areas, and brilliantly headed the chance to the net. 0-2.

Castlerea were shell shocked to have found themselves 0-2 down in a game that was a lot closer than the score line suggests. Shortly before half time Castlerea gave themselves a lifeline. A cross from the right wing to Paul Mee on the left wing, was met first time by the winger, and a cracking volley was sent crashing in off the far Ballinasloe post. Padraic Moloney was a mere spectator, as were the rest of the Ballinasloe team. A super strike. 2- 1.

Des Hope left the field of play after 35 minutes due to an injury and Joe Woods slotted in at centre back, with Declan Duffy filling in at left back. Upon the resumption Castlerea grabbed a hold of the game and Ballinasloe were struggling to get out of their own half. Castlerea piled on the pressure and won numerous frees, and corners but could not break down a stubborn Ballinasloe rear guard. Padraic Moloney, Joe Woods, Cormac Clogher, Declan Duffy and Mike Lynch dealt very well with everything that came their way. Declan Duffy left the field of play on the 80th minute for Joe Hunt.

The town held on for the win and will be delighted at reaching the open draw again this year. Hard luck to Castlerea. A mention for the referee Keith Reynolds, who handled this game very well. His common sense approach and talking to the players meant the game flowed very well, and minimal cards were required.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, D Hope, M Lynch, J Woods, M Duffy, S Duffy, A Dooney, M Richardson, L Lynch, D Finn,
Subs used: R Burke for Darrel Finn, D Duffy for D Hope, J Hunt for D Duffy

RDFL Premier League 02 Nov 2018
Shiven Rovers 0 v Ballinasloe Town AFC 4
This game was played in very tough conditions as the wind and rain hurled up through Shiven Rovers grounds from left to right.
Ballinasloe manager Petie Keighery had a number of injuries to contend with for this game, with Kenneth Kenny, Shane Duffy and Declan Duffy all ruled out. Town Captain Des Hope chose to play against the elements in the first half. Ballinasloe started the game well enough, trying to keep the ball on the ground and play through midfield through Mark Duffy, Canavan and Richardson. The town were attacking well and creating lots of chances with Liam Lynch, Giumma, Hunt and Canavan all going close, but without causing the Shiven Rovers keeper any real trouble.

Shiven Rovers began to assert themselves and started to grow into the game. The elusive breakthrough for the Town was not coming as frustration started to grow. Shiven broke away from a Ballinasloe corner and almost scored bar a fine save from Padraic Maloney in the Ballinasloe goal. Again Shiven went close after they robbed possession in the Ballinasloe defence and broke through one on one with the Ballinasloe goalkeeper only for Padraic Maloney to produce another excellent save and push a goal chance around the post for a corner. Ballinasloe continued to press forward after this and were rewarded on the 35 minute mark. A clearance from the Shiven Rovers defence fell to Joe Hunt who was about 25 yards from goal. Hunt looked up and curled a beauty into the far top corner to give the Town a vital lead 0 – 1. The town continued to press forward for the remainder of the half but could not add to the score line.

A few choice words were needed from Keighery at half time to the Ballinasloe players in the hope to try and drive them on for the priceless 3 points. Ballinasloe had 12 months earlier drawn this game and this was still fresh in the memories of all concerned. The town now had the aid of the elements and showed improvement early on. Joe Woods was introduced and replaced Joe Hunt. Woods immediately shored up the Town midfield and allowed more cover to the back 4. Gary Canavan who was fouled on numerous occasions throughout this game won a free mid way through the 2nd half. Mark Duffy took the free and curled it to the edge of the box, where it was met by the skipper Des Hope who hit a thumping header from 18 yards high into the far post to make it 0 – 2.

The adaptable Darrel Finn who is having an excellent season to date was now bombing forward at every occasion. Finn won the ball on the left wing and rounded the defender and was hacked down for a free on the edge of the 18 yard box. Again Mark Duffy took the close range free kick from the left. This time it was drilled low to the front post where Des Hope made an excellent run to toe poke home and seal the points. Hope is always a threat in these scenarios and loves scoring goals!! 0 – 3. A quick brace of chances fell to Mark Richardson and both were very close but just off target.

Shiven continued to break away and cause the Ballinasloe defence trouble, but could not get a clear goal scoring opportunity on Maloney due to good work from Cormac Clogher and Mike Lynch. It was from one of these Shiven chances that the next Town goal arrived. Maloney launched a clearance forward right up the middle of the pitch. Confusion in the Shiven defence, meant nobody attacked the ball. Liam Lynch was quickly off the defenders shoulder to rob the ball and dribble into close range and tap it by the keeper 0-4. Ryan Burke replaced Mahmoud Giumma with 10 minutes left and as always gave his very best for the team.

This was a tough game for Ballinasloe, played in very poor weather conditions against a well organised Shiven Rovers. All in all the Town will take the positives from this game, and be content with 3 points in what is always a tricky away game. Best of luck to Senior player Gary Canavan who leaves for the Lebanon this week on duty with the Irish Defence Forces.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, D Hope, M Lynch, D Finn, M Duffy, G Canavan, M Richardson, M Giumma, L Lynch, J Hunt
Subs used: J Woods for J Hunt, R Burke for Mahmoud Giumma. 


Our u9's travelled to Galway this morning two strong teams with 22 players in total. John Conway, Gary Mcloughin, Vincent Doherty, and Simon Price were the Club coaches that traveled with the teams. Thanks very much guys you did a tremendous job. Thank you to Mark Duffy also. Special mention also to the parents for the great support shown on the day and thank you for driving its very much appreciated.

Cup team were grouped with Salthill Devon 1, Aisling Annacotty 2, and St Bernards 1. This was a very strong group. We played St.Bernards first and drew this game. A very tight game and we were very unlucky near the end not to get all 3 points. Our 2nd game was against Aisling Annacotty, another very good game team who traveled up from Limerick, both sides had chances but in a close battle we came away with the win. Our third game was against Salthill Devon 1, another very close game which could have gone either way. That left us on 4 points. And qualified us for the Cup semi final.

In the Cup semi final we played Mervue United. The lads were super in this game and won and qualified for the final. We played Aisling Annacotty 1 in the final, which we won and the kids were really delighted. It was a super performance from all the players , who all kept their shape and played some lovely football with some great passing and finishing. It was a brilliiant team effort from everyone and great to win the cup Comp.

The shield team was grouped with Ashling Annacotty, Barna/Furbo, Salthill Devon & Mervue United. They had some excellent performances and played some nice football in the group and were narrowly beaten twice and had two draws also. They came out the group into the shield knockout and played Barna/Furbo in what was a fantastic game with the teams level it was Barna/Furbo who scored right on the whistle to advance.

All games were played in great spirit and the kids had a brilliant day , Special thanks to Martin O Connell for the invite. Both teams were treated to Supermacs on the way home to round of a fine day. Thank you again to Salthill Devon and well done to all the Boys and Girls who took part in the competition.

FAI Junior Cup 21 Oct 2018
Ballinasloe Town AFC 7 v 0 Ballaghdereen. 21 Oct 2018

A change in competition this week with an opportunity to progress to the next round of the FAI junior cup at stake.
Ballinasloe started this game with a high tempo from the off and were attacking forward at will against a young Ballaghderren side who had got some very good results in Division 1 in recent weeks. 2 early goals from Darrel Finn & Liam Lynch from close range had the town well in control. A Darrel Finn cross shot from the left wing ended up in the net soon after to make it 3 0. Aiden Dooney rounded off the scoring just before half time to leave the town well in control. 

Mahmoud Giumma got the half time call from Petie Keighery and he replaced Mark Duffy. Mahmoud Giumma back from his exploits representing Ireland at the 6 a side European Championships looked lively early on, and created a chance for Liam Lynch to toe poke home from close range soon after the restart. Mark Richardson got his name on the score sheet soon after he cheekily robbed the Ballagh goalkeeper to finish to the net. The scoring was rounded off with a Joe Hunt penalty after the same player was fouled in the box. Well played to a Ballaghderren team who are trying to play the game in the correct manner and the game was played in the correct spirit throughout.

Team: P Maloney, C Clogher, D Hope, M Lynch, D Duffy, M Duffy, S Duffy, A Dooney, D Finn, L Lynch, M Richardson
Subs used: M Giumma, J Hunt, R Burke. 

RDFL Premier Division 14 Oct 2018
Ballinasloe Town AFC 4 v 2 Cloonfad United. 20 Oct 2018

The game started with Ballinasloe controlling possession for most of the first half, and trying to break down a tough and well organised Cloonfad defence. Ryan Burke amongst others went close early on. An injury to Joe Woods forced him off and Petie Keighery had to shuffle his defence, with Gary Canavan dropping to defense and Joe Hunt introduced. The breakthrough came midway through the first half with a cool finish from the edge of the box from Aiden Dooney.

A brilliant start to the second period by Cloonfad saw them snatch the lead from Ballinasloe with two goals from Cian Ruane and another fine solo effort from Conor Flynn. Ballinasloe manager Petie Keighery sprung Mahmoud Giumma and Liam Lynch from the bench, as the Town tried to work their way back into this game. Ballinasloe settled down and forced an equaliser through Shane Duffy from a very acute angle. A good finish from the midfielder.

Ballinasloe kept passing the ball well and eventually a chance fell to Dooney who again slotted home from the edge of the box to the delight of the Ballinasloe crowd. This was Aidens second goal of the day, and this man looks to be really enjoying his football, back at the club for his second spell. Shortly after Cloonfads Callum Manhire went down with a serious looking knee injury which forced a nearby ambulance to be called. Conor Flynn also had to board the vehicle as could no longer continue due to a head injury leaving Cloonfad to finish the game with 9, as they had used all their subs.

Darrel Finn continued his fine form in front of goal with a left foot finish late on following an excellent Mark Richardson run to cap off the scoring at 4 2 to Ballinasloe. Well done to Ballinasloe who despite not being at their best, kept going and going and got the 3 points they deserved.

Team: P Maloney, D Duffy, J Woods, M Lynch, D Finn, M Duffy, S Duffy, A Dooney, R Burke, A Duffy, G Canavan.

Subs used: J Hunt, L Lynch, M Giumma, M Richardson.



             x1 burke, x1 canavan, x1 lynch

FAI Junior Cup Round 1 match report 30 Sep 2018
Ballinasloe Town advanced to the next round of the junior cup in convincing fashion after making the long journey to face Sligo Premier league side MCR FC. Ballinasloe started the game in tremendous fashion with an early goal from the excellent Ryan Burke after 6 mins. Ballinasloe continued to dominate the game playing at a high tempo and were rewarded on 19 mins when the always dangerous Gary Canavan slotted home to make it 2-0. The remainder of the first half was a more even affair but Ballinasloe still looked in control.The game was over as a contest a couple of minutes into the second half when Mike Lynch met a Gary Canavan corner with a powerful back post header. Ballinasloe could have added to this total in the remainder of the game striking the post on 3 occasions but all in all a really good away performance from the town against a strong MCR side. Thanks to all at MCR FC for their hospitality after the game.