BALLINASLOE TOWN AFC CLUB CREST ORIGIN
Ballinasloe Town Association Football Club take their club crest directly from the town of Ballinasloe's coat of arms, the town is situated in the east of Galway county where the soccer club is based. The formation of the club predates the granting of these arms to the town of Ballinasloe by two years, the club having been formed in 1951 and the granting of the arms to the town being presented in 1953.
The town of Ballinasloe was granted the coat of arms for the launch of the An Tóstal ("The Pageant") Festival which was the name given for a series of events celebrating Irish life which continued until 1958 and which was designed to draw tourists into the country. The festival hosted parades, sporting events and celebrated the arts. A lot of these towns began clean-up campaigns which culminated in the establishment of the National Tidy Town Awards which is still running to this day. The club crest's evolution to what it is today was a natural evolutionary progression with the club wanting to stand out from other sporting organisations in the locality, hence the reshaping of the shield mounted on a new heraldic ribbon scroll with the addition of the year of formation of the club, the introduction of the soccer footballs and the blue colourway becoming a Cerulean blue.
"In the granting of arms to the town of Ballinasloe in February of 1953, following an application by what was then the Urban District Council of the town, the Chief Herald of Ireland Edward MacLysaght acknowledged the historical association of the O'Kelly family with the territory in which the town developed by the inclusion within the shield of a tower triple-towered Argent with two chains descending from the battlements Or as an element. The basic fess wavy Azure and Argent refers to the river Suck about which the town grew, while the horse was included to represent the Great October Horse Fair of the town and as such the economic aspects of the town. The swords reflect the religious aspect of the town, taking its reference from the sword of St. Michael, patron of the nineteenth century Roman Catholic church in the centre of the town." wikiipedia